The Portugal Golden Visa Residence Program is a five-year residence-by-investment program for non-EU nationals. As a member of the European Union, enrolling in the country’s the Golden Visa Program offers open access to live, work, and study in Portugal, travel across Europe visa-free, and the opportunity to avail the country’s healthcare and consumer rights.
Becoming a resident allows free movement in the Schengen area and only requires an average of seven days per year stay in Portugal over this period, which can also count towards citizenship eligibility after five years. The Golden Visa Program also provides a strong route to the Portuguese citizenship and passport after six years. Portugal is a very family-friendly nation, and the program extends to dependents, providing an excellent option for families seeking a European base.
The Portuguese passport is one of the most powerful in the world and provides visa-free or visa-on-arrival access to 186 countries around the world including the European Union, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, India, Japan, US, and UAE.
Portugal boasts a rich historical and architectural heritage. Lying on the Atlantic Ocean, Portugal offers investors a lifetime opportunity to invest in one of the most sought-after countries in which to reside, with a very high standard of living.
Legal amendments in Portuguese law have opened up the possibility of applying for a residence permit for pursuing investment activities to those who enter Portugal regularly and their dependents in return for transferring capital, creating jobs or acquiring real estate. This is possible by virtue of Law number 29/2012 and Order number 11820-A/2012.
|Lisbon||349 Km2||10.79 Million (2017)||Portuguese|
|CURRENCY||NEAREST COUNTRY:||VISA FREE ACCESS||TIME ZONE:|
|Euro||Spain||186 Countries||Western European(UTC)|
KEY FACTS (can be place on the image)
- Visa-free travel in Schengen Area (186 countries with the passport)
- Residency granted in 180 days
- Minimal residency requirements
- Investment options starting from Euro 250,000
- Fast track for foreign investors from non-EU countries to obtain a fully valid residency permit in Portugal (“Golden Visa”)
- Non-EU citizens simply need to carry out one of the investments to qualify to obtain a residency permit in Portugal
- This residency permit allows the investor to enter and/or live in Portugal
- Allows the investor to travel freely within the vast majority of European countries (Schengen area)
- Eligible for Permanent Residency after 5 years
- Eligible to apply for Citizenship after 6 years
- Dependent children and dependent parents can be included (conditions apply)
- Be a Non-European Union citizen
- Must keep the Investment for a minimum period of 5 years
- Funds for investment must come from abroad
- Proof that the applicant has no criminal record
- Minimum stay in Portugal of 7 days during the first year, and 14 days in each subsequent two-year period
Process (4-6 months)
- Application is submitted at the Services of Foreigners and Borders (SEF)
- Once the application is processed, the SEF will contact the investor’s legal representatives and set up an appointment with the investor (and family members) to collect signature and fingerprints
Getting the Portuguese Citizenship
- Applicant must have been a legal resident of Portugal for at least 6 years
- Kept a clean criminal record
- Sufficient subsistence funds and a place of residence in Portugal
- Proof of sufficient Portuguese language proficiency
Benefits of Citizenship
- Unrestricted right to live, work, study in Europe
- Access to free education within EU
- Possibility of visa-free travel to 186 countries, including the UK, European Union, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, India, Japan, US, and UAE
*Please contact us for a free initial evaluation based on the number of applicants and their ages.
As your personal partner for Residency and Citizenship Planning we are pleased to provide you with comprehensive specialist advice.